Monday, April 20, 2009

Hotel Calkins, Clare Mich




I like this postcard for a number of reasons. I'm basically fond of the architecture of the period to start with and whoever composed this put a little of everything in it to show the time period. Theres the auto in the front along with three seperate horse drawn carts of differing types and the people. I suppose some might say the pic is a little busy but to me its perfect.

Apparently the Hotel Calkins is no more or at least I can't find any reference to it with a google search. There is a Hotel in Clare built around the same time that still operates, the Doherty but nothing about the Calkins, too bad.
I've included the back here, interesting as the writer makes reference to the travel differences between auto and horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment