Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chicago 1908


I have to start with an apology. I recently purchased the glass negative from which this image was made so it is mine now but partly from being lazy and partly not to handle the neg anymore then needed I am using the scan from the seller, Marianne . I am doing so without asking first but rationalized that I did buy the negative and hope she does not mind. If you do Marianne I will remove this and replace it with a scan of my own. As long as I have mentioned her I will say if you are in the market for old photos watch for ClancysClassics on Ebay. She most often has a fine selection of vintage photos that cover just about any interest.
I have a few glass negatives and at least the ones I have are all very sharp and capable of producing great images. I imagine that those that have survived were the better of those that existed so were stored with great care. They scare me as I tend to be disorganized and have broken one from not storing it with great care. It hurts more to know I ruined something that lasted a hundred years before I got my hands on it then the loss itself. Anyhow, thought this was a great image and wanted to share it.

2 comments:

  1. hi DAvid, not a problem at all, so happy you won this and will care for it.
    I have a huge collection and am moving next spring so will want to sell most of them, so if you or any of your viewers are interested in large lots of negatives let me know. The really special ones such as this will be listed seperately.
    This is a sharp neg and could easily be blown up to poster size if you ever decide. I do own a Microtek scanner which was pretty cheap and does a wonderful job of scanning negs and positives. Well worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I was pretty sure you would allow it or wouldn't have assumed the risk. I'm always interested in good negs or photo's in lots or singly depending of course on the buying budget which is pretty bleak at the moment but that fluctuates so will look forward to hearing or seeing what you have.

    ReplyDelete