Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Suspenders


Another pen and ink, really my favorite tool for drawing although time consuming and unforgiving in many cases.

It was hot today, wont say how hot because friends like Mike would say "that isn't hot" but it was hot for us northlanders. I would still rather sweat then shiver but days like this I have to remind myself. I went shopping with my wife which if you have been following know is not my favorite activity, not a bad trip, short hop to Lowes, the hardware/ everything store.

On the way back home we stopped at a favorite restaurant for lunch (Applebee's) where Vince and I and his wife had lunch often when we worked together sometimes joined by my wife.

It didn't hit me at first, had to go out and get my glasses I forgot as always and coming back noticed my wife's face was drenched in sweat. As she told me why I started to notice it was stuffy and uncomfortable inside there and slow that I am realized they had no air conditioning.

We were talking about that when the waiter came and took our order. I asked him the obvious and he admitted it wasn't working. By the time we finished ordering my wife maybe reading my mind asked him to make it to go. We weren't upset or anything, stuff happens right, not bitching at him about it, just decided to take it home where it would be cooler. I don't think we were anyway but soon after he left the manager came over and apologized for the heat, explaining it had just gone out. We smiled and said stuff happens and all was Ok. She left and we sat waiting and a few minutes another manager came over and apologized. Then after a few minutes more the first one came back and apologized again and told us that because of the inconvenience they were picking up the check. I had been thinking that maybe with the air thing they might throw in free drinks or something but nope, she took the check away, $35.00 worth of it. Our free food was ready soon after and the second manager, the general one came over again and apologized a second time. We don't look like anybody important, honest and we go there now and then but not all that often. I thought it was pretty nice of them so that why I'm telling it here but can't guarantee it is policy so don't drive around looking for Applebee's with no air conditioning.

3 comments:

  1. that is a great story.. speaking of heat.... yesterday was 118 when I got in my car.. now that is the inside temp and outside it had to be 110. I was just saying lately what a mild summer its been.. hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk.. and that is no lie!
    glad you got your free meal..
    marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps..great drawing. my daughter uses same art form pen and ink and its a great medium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 118 is rough, nowhere near that here but still I would trade a 118 day for those 30 below wind chill days in Chicago during February. I worry more about the next electric bill then I do the sweating.

    ReplyDelete