Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Knitting


Another larger image, about the same size as the one yesterday. This a group of ladies together for knitting and sewing. posing for this but must have been some kind of group or knitting society that got together regular. My wife knits now and then but do they still have groups like this? There's a candelstick phone on the desk lower left. I like the lighting , the only thing visable from the ceiling. Obviously the photographer brought some of his own but if that was all the ladies had to see by it had to be hard seeing what they were doing.

4 comments:

  1. David:

    I love looking at the pictures you post here daily.

    I became curious as to the year that the office picture was taken and wondered if you had a date for it.

    I did share the photo with my Social Studies teachers - and they had a wide range of answers, from the 1890s - the mid 20s. I think, perhaps, the most accurate answer came from one of our young ladies who was on our County's "Old Courthouse Opening Commission", and spent a lot of time looking and dating pictures. She thought no earlier than 1908, more like right around 1914 - based on telephone, ladies dress and hairstyle, one office equipment.

    Can you narrow down the year? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops,I answeared once and lied, saying I didn't know and gave a guess, but then I went back and checked and there is a date on the picture. 1917 it says so I was wrong on both counts. I would have guessed 1910 so your teacher was closer then I. It's always fun trying to figure these mysteries out as often there is no information available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David: Thanks for the confirmation! I guess I'll send her a candy bar as a prize for being so close. I appreciate your effort!

    Looking at the pictures can give one a chance to really analyze and think about what is being seen. It can be a real test for anyone interested in history!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete