Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lewis Gun?


I had said I would stay off the soldiers for awhile but as we have a new friend that has some knowledge I made an effort and found the picture I was talking about with the machine gun.

I believe it to be a Lewis but could be wrong. I know a little about some things but a lot about little. Hopefuly Dan will check back and let me know what this is. This is a detail of the complete photo and also a much better picture of the soldier although I see no collar insignia or anything else that would identify him. He is certainly squared away, maybe an officer?

3 comments:

  1. It certainly looks like a Lewis to me. Interesting history on the gun is here: http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/mgun_lewis.htm
    I couldn't see any insignia either - possibly a private??? He looks youngish.

    Great selection of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Lewis.
    Brilliant air-cooling system.
    The muzzle blast created a vacuum which drew air into the rear of the barrel shroud which was filled with aluminum fins.
    The Army really stepped on the old Oscar Meyer when they didn't take this thing and run with it.
    The dead giveaway is the pan-magazine.
    The guy's indeed squared away.
    I suspect he's a jarhead (said as a former Seabee, Dave. Please don't take offense).
    Great pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both and glad to have my discription verified. He could be a Marine given the info about the army not having the Lewis. I wouldn't think a pvt. though, little bit too squared away unless some office assignment. (no offense to jarhead or any of the other cute "nicks" Marines have earned.)

    ReplyDelete