Sunday, March 22, 2009

Soldiers again







Three more pics today of world war one era soldiers and I'll leave them alone for awhile anyway.
Two are of the same man, the one standing by the tent and the one in the vehicle. There was a third, the best of the bunch of the man with a lewis machine gun but I can't find it now. I don't actually have the standing or the lewis picture anymore, having sold them to buy more pictures but still have them stored on my puter somewhere. The other with the ladies in the trenches was obviously taken here in the US, actually I think they all were, like yesterday before they shipped out. The one not here with the Lewis gun was probably before the war as all the Lewis machine guns were taken away from the infantry to be mounted on airplanes, another new weapon turning up during that war.

2 comments:

  1. David,
    First time here and love the photos.
    I'll dig deeper when I have more time.
    One little obsessive detail:
    I'm not sure the Lewis gun was ever issued to the US Army due to some silly altercation between Isaac Newton Lewis and the chief of Army Procurement.
    The Marines used them because they're less emotional and more willing to take what they can get but even they had them taken away when they got to France to be replaced with the hideous Chauchat.
    The Belgians were the first to purchase them in 1913 and they were so successful that the Brits started manufacturing "The Belgian Rattlesnake" almost immediately at BSA I beleive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome and please do come back. Thank you for the information. As a former Marine I know what you mean about "taking what they can get"
    I'll try to find the picture I was talking about and post it. I no longer have the actual photo but know I have a copy on file. Maybe you can verify it is a Lewis or if not what it is.

    ReplyDelete